Lead Specialist Craftsperson - Stonemason - Chesterfield
The National trust are looking for a Stonemason to join our Specialist Craft Team on a full-time permanent contract. Based at Hardwick Hall, Derbyshire. On occasion you will also support other National Trust sites in the Midland and East of England Region.
We can offer the opportunity to work at some of the most beautiful places and buildings in the UK, as well as first-class professional development which comes with being an organisation at the forefront of preserving the UK's precious past and delivering innovative solutions to make our environment sustainable for the future.
Internally you'll be known as a Building Craftsperson (Mason)
The working hours for this role are 7:30am to 4pm, Monday to Thursday and 7:30am to 1:30pm on Fridays. When working further afield within the region, we operate slightly longer says starting at 6:30am, however we will then have Friday off. Flexibility is essential.
Due to the nature of this role, a full UK driving license will be required.
What it's like to work here
You'll be part of a specialist crafts team delivering quality stone masonry work, both banker work in our workshop and fixing out on site. Our Stonemasons yard is located a short distance from the main hall at Hardwick, with picturesque views of the surrounding parkland. You could be working on a window surround for 17th century Woolsthorpe Manor, previously home to Sir Isaac Newton, or chipping paint off a traditional stone wall to prepare it for new render.
This vacancy is included in a trial of the "Disability Confident" scheme (level 1). If you have a disability, and your qualities, skills and experience are a good fir with the "Who we're looking for" section below, we will guarantee you either a telephone or face to face interview. Please contact us at [email protected], when you apply, to let us know, quoting the reference number for this vacancy (IRC137759).
What you'll be doing
The team can be commissioned to undertake any manner of traditional stone masonry work on our historic buildings and structures across the region. Typically, you will be working on anything from stonemasonry pieces in our banker shop, to being out on site pointing and fixing the stones that have been worked to paving and rebuilding historic structures within the region. You'll also be expected to engage with property visitors when undertaking work on site, including answering their questions and helping with engagement events when required.
Who we're looking for
- A skilled Stonemason (banker work and fixing) and familiar with historic buildings
- Good people skills enabling strong relationships with internal and external customers
- Demonstrate a willingness to undertake additional training offered by the National Trust to maintain and develop skills
- Knowledge of relevant Health & Safety legislation, and compliance requirements
- Ability to demonstrate and share good work practices
The National Trust has the motto "For everyone, for ever" at its heart. We're working hard to create an inclusive culture, where everyone feels they belong. It's important that our people reflect and represent the diversity of the communities and audiences we serve. We welcome and value difference, so when we say we're for everyone, we want everyone to be welcome in our teams too.
- Substantial pension scheme of up to 10% basic salary
- Free entry to National Trust places for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- Tax free childcare scheme
- Rental deposit loan scheme
- Season ticket loan
- Perks at work discounts i.e. gym memberships, shopping discount codes, cinema discounts
- Holiday allowance up to 32 days relating to length of service, plus holiday purchase scheme, subject to meeting minimum criteria
- Flexible working whenever possible
- Employee assistance programme
- Free parking at most locations
- Independent financial advice
Click here to find out more about the benefits we offer to support you.
Click here to apply for this role.