Book your place on the Building Limes Forum online conference – 6 November
Building Limes Forum (BLF) members, lime enthusiasts, conservation professionals and trades from around the world are invited to book for this year’s Building Limes Forum conference taking place online on 6 November. It will be streaming live from Exeter Cathedral, famed for its Gothic architecture.
The theme for this year’s conference is ‘Looking Back, Looking Forward: learning from the past to inform the future.’
- Nick Durnan on the conservation of Exeter Cathedral’s west front
- Berenice Humphreys of Cliveden Conservation on Wells Cathedral’s west front
- Tobias Carleton-Prangnell of Black Pheasant Consultancy on earthen mortars
- Edd Walker on manufacturing standards and the test standards of modern limes
- Arthur Needham of Vitruvius Conservation on mortar trials at Lancing College Chapel
- Jo Cox of Keystone Historic Buildings Consultants on research into church tower finishes in Devon
The one-day event features a mix of recorded and live content, concluding with the Baker Memorial Lecture, this year being given by James Simpson, OBE HonDSc FRIAS, co-founder of the BLF and twice Chairman. James wrote an article for Natural Stone Specialist magazine called 'Stone & lime in post-modern construction: Climate change and a new stone age', which you can read here.
So that the social aspect of pre-pandemic events is not lost, the BLF is hosting regional events across Great Britain to enable participants to join others to share lecture sessions, network and socialise. The regional hubs will include morning tours. The afternoon lectures will be streamed to each hub and there will be an optional evening meal at each centre.
They take place at:
- Bodmin, Cornwall, hosted by Cornish Lime
- Staplecross, East Sussex, hosted by Chalk Down Lime
- Stanstead Abbotts, Hertfordshire, hosted by Between Time
- Cliveden, Berkshire, hosted by Cliveden Conservation
- Lymm Hall, Cheshire hosted by Ecospheric
- York, hosted by Maria-Elena Calderón
- Todmorden, Yorkshire, hosted by the School of Natural Building
- Isle of Man, hosted by Manx National Heritage
- Kendal, Cumbria, hosted by Crosby Granger Architects
- Edinburgh, hosted by Simpson & Brown Architects
- Charlestown, Fife, hosted by the Scottish Lime Centre
- Elgin, Moray, hosted by Masonry & Lime
To book for the conference or the regional hubs, click here.
- Online only £30 (£50 non-members).
- Hub £50 (£70 non-members) includes tours & lunch.
- Hub £80 (£100 non-members) includes tours, lunch & evening meal.
Membership discount is open to members of the following organisations: IHBC, SPAB, ICON, Heritage Trust Network, Federation of Master Builders, Stone Federation Great Britain, the Worshipful Company of Masons, any building apprentice and any student registered on a course related to traditional skills, materials, design and/or heritage.
NOTE: Student and apprentice bursaries are available - please contact the BLF for details at [email protected].